With its combination of sweetness and heat, this recipe is a perfect way to enjoy the flavors of Filipino cuisine. The sweetness comes from sugar and the spiciness from cayenne pepper powder. Simple but flavorful! You can cook sweet and spicy dilis dish in just a few steps and serve as an appetizer or as a side dish. Let me show you how to make this unique Filipino snack!
How to Make Sweet and Spicy Dilis
Making sweet and spicy dilis is an easy process that only takes a few steps. Begin by preparing your ingredients. You will need about one pound of dried dilis (anchovies), one bottle of banana ketchup, plus two tablespoons of sugar, one teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder, and two cups of cooking oil.
Once all the ingredients for the sweet and spicy dilis are prepared, begin by heating up the cooking oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat until it starts to shimmer. Add the dried dilis into the pan and fry them until they become crispy. Drain oil and set aside. On a separate pan, heat up the banana ketchup then add the fried dilis. Mix well to evenly coat dilis with the sauce. Fry for 5 minutes then add sugar and cayenne pepper. Stir-fry for another 5 minutes or until sugar has caramelized before turning off heat.
To ensure that your sweet & spicy dilis turn out perfectly every time, here are some tips & tricks for making them. Make sure you use enough oil in your pan so that your dry dilis don’t stick too much while frying. Use fresh spices instead of powdered ones as they give out more flavor. Adjust levels of sweetness & spiciness according to personal preference, if you want it sweeter add more sugar. Lastly, always remember to stir regularly while frying so that all flavors are mixed properly into each other!
Why Not Give This Unique Filipino Dish a Try Today?
With these simple steps anyone can make their own delicious sweet & spicy dilis at home! It’s easy to customize too with different levels of sweetness & spiciness based on personal preference. Whether you serve this snack as an appetizer or side dish, it is sure this recipe will definitely impress everyone every time!
Sweet & Spicy Dilis
- 1 lb dried fish anchovy (dilis)
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 1 bottle banana ketchup net wt 12 oz (340g)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- Remove excess salt from dried Dilis by rinsing it twice or more with fresh water.
- Preheat oil in a deep pan on a medium heat.
- Add dilis and fry for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Drain oil and set aside.
- On a separate pan, heat up the banana ketchup then add fried dilis. Mix well to evenly coat dilis with the sauce. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and cayenne pepper. Stir and fry for another 5 minutes or until sugar has caramelized.