Pancit Canton is a traditional Filipino dish made from egg noodles, vegetables, and meats. It’s one of the most popular street food in the Philippines, and can be found in most Filipino households.
How to Cook Pancit Canton
Pancit Canton is a flavorful dish that has been enjoyed by people all over the world for many years. This delicious recipe is easy to make, using just a few ingredients and taking minimal time to prepare. When cooked right it can be a nutritious meal with health benefits such as weight-loss, increased energy, reduced risk of certain diseases and improved immune system functions.
Before you begin preparing Pancit Canton, there are several things you need to do first. Gather up all the necessary ingredients. These includes egg noodles, meat of your choice – such as chicken, pork or beef. Mixed vegetables such as carrots, cabbage, red bell pepper, celery, and green beans. Oil for cooking, garlic, onion, soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt, pepper and fish sauce (optional). You will also need a large pot or wok for cooking. Cut your meat into small pieces and make sure all vegetables are chopped finely before beginning cooking.
Turn on medium heat on your stovetop. Add some oil in the wok or pan. Start by sautéing garlic and onions together until they’re fragrant. Then, add in the chicken, kikiam meat pieces, and cook for 5 minutes.
Next, add in the green beans, carrots, red bell pepper, and cabbage. Stir fry for about 5 minutes then remove from wok and set aside. Now, add in the chicken stock and pancit canton noodles. Cook for 5 minutes before returning the stir-fried meat and vegetables mixture into the wok. Stir and mix together.
Finally, add in oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper then stir. Let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes before removing from heat and transferring to a serving plate.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 lb chicken thigh and liver chopped
- 1 cup kikiam sliced
- 1/2 cup green beans chopped
- 1 small carrot julienned
- 1 medium red bell pepper julienned
- 1/4 medium cabbage shredded
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 16 oz pancit canton noodles
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 small calamansi
- Start by sautéing garlic and onions together over medium heat until they’re fragrant then add in the chicken and kikiam meat pieces. Cook for 5 minutes or until they’re lightly browned.
- Add in the green beans, carrots, red bell pepper, and cabbage. Stir fry for 5 minutes then remove from wok and set aside.
- Add in the chicken stock and pancit canton noodles. Cook for 5 minutes before returning the stir-fried meat and vegetables mixture. Stir and mix together.
- Now add in oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper then stir everything together so it’s evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes before removing from heat and transferring to a serving plate.
Is Pancit Canton Healthy?
Pancit Canton can be a healthy dish depending on how it is prepared. For a healthier version, some key things to consider are the type of noodles used. The type and amount of oil used for cooking, and the additional ingredients such as vegetables and meat.
Using fresh or dried whole wheat noodles is a better choice than white flour noodles. This is because they provide more fiber, vitamins, and minerals. When cooking with oil, it’s best to use unsaturated oils like sunflower or olive oil in moderation. Adding vegetables like carrots, cabbage, onion and garlic can give the dish more flavor while providing essential vitamins and minerals. Choosing lean meats such as chicken breast or shrimp will also keep the dish healthy while adding protein.
In addition to using healthier ingredients, it’s important to pay attention to portion size when eating pancit canton. A balanced meal should include one-quarter protein (meat or seafood), one-quarter whole grains (rice or wheat) and half composed of vegetables. Eating too much pancit canton can result in weight gain. This is due to its high carb content. However, eating reasonable portions may provide a satisfying meal without adding too much fat or calories.
Overall, if prepared with healthier ingredients in moderate portion sizes, pancit canton can be a nutritious dish. It can also provides essential vitamins and minerals along with an enjoyable flavor experience.