How to Make Fried Rice
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Fried Rice is a dish that’s beloved all over the world, and for good reason. Whether you’re making it at home or getting it from a restaurant, it’s always packed with flavor and texture. This delicious meal can be made quickly with minimal ingredients and effort, while still delivering great taste and satisfaction. And if fried rice isn’t already a part of your regular dinner rotation, then you’re in for a treat! In this article we’ll discuss how to make the best fried rice ever – complete with tips for perfecting each step of the process.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Making the best fried rice starts by gathering up all the ingredients. You will need 1 cup of cooked long-grain white rice (ideally day old), 1 cup of diced vegetables (e.g., carrots, celery, bell peppers), 2 tablespoons of cooking oil (such as sesame or vegetable oil), 2 cloves of garlic minced, 2 large eggs, 2 teaspoons soy sauce and a pinch of salt to taste. If desired you can also add any additional vegetables and proteins such as shrimp or chicken.
Preparing The Rice
It is important to have your cooked long-grain white rice ready to go when cooking fried rice. I always cook mine in this rice cooker, which works really good. Preferably day old cold cooked rice. This is ideal for making fried rice as it helps prevent sticking in the pan when frying. To ensure that your finished product has a perfect texture and won’t be mushy. Fluff up your cooked white long-grain rice before adding it into the pan!
The Cooking Process
Next, throw in two cloves of minced garlic followed by 1 cup diced carrots and peas. Stir fry these ingredients together until they start to soften which should take around 2 minutes.
Add in one cup cold cooked long-grain white rice. Give it a good stir and season it with two tablespoons soy sauce along with a pinch of salt to taste.
Finally, add in the two large eggs into the side of the skillet. Fry it for a minute then stir everything together. Add the sliced spring onion. Cook for a few more minutes until all the ingredients are well blended together. Remove from heat. Transfer fried to a serving plate and enjoy your delicious homemade Fried Rice!
Tips For Making Perfect Fried Rice Every Time
1. Be sure to use cold pre-cooked Long Grain White Rice. Preferably a day old rice. This will help prevent sticking when frying in the pan. It will also provide better texture once completed.
2. To ensure even cooking, make sure that all of your vegetables are cut into evenly sized small pieces so that they cook through quickly.
3. Don’t skimp on soy sauce – this condiment is key to giving this dish its unique flavor.
4. Cook everything over medium heat so that nothing burns while still allowing enough time for everything to cook through properly.
5. Keep stirring during the entire process. This will help to make sure no single ingredient gets too much heat resulting in burnt spots while leaving other half raw inside.
My Favorite Variations On This Dish
Fried Rice is incredibly versatile. This means that you can easily switch things up depending on what’s available in your kitchen! Some variations I love playing around with include adding protein such as shrimp or chicken along with different types & combinations of vegetables like bamboo shoots & mushrooms. I also like swapping out white long grain rice with brown basmati. Using alternative ingredient like butter instead of sesami oil. Throwing in some spices & herbs like red pepper flakes & cilantro respectively and incorporating different kinds of sauces like oyster sauce (You can find it in the Asian section of grocery stores, or order it on Amazon) if you want an extra umami punch!
What to Serve with Fried Rice
Some of the best recipes to serve with fried rice include:
- Pan Seared Butter-Basted Steak
- Tomato Egg Drop Soup
- Eggplant Tofu Stir Fry
- Crispy Okoy
- Sarciadong Tilapia
- Ginisang Opo with Pork
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup frozen carrots and peas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- a pinch of salt to taste
- spring onion
- Heat up a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Pour in two tablespoons of cooking oil – preferably sesame oil for its amazing flavor when cooking Asian dishes such as Fried Rice.
- Next, throw in two cloves of minced garlic followed by 1/2 cup diced carrots and peas. Stir fry these ingredients together until they start to soften which should take around 2 minutes.
- Add in one cup cold cooked long-grain white rice. Give it a good stir and season it with two tablespoons soy sauce along with a pinch of salt to taste.
- Finally, add in the two large eggs into the side of the skillet. Fry it for a minute then stir everything together. Add the sliced spring onion. Cook for a few more minutes until all the ingredients are well blended together.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy your delicious homemade Fried Rice!